29 March 2013

Baja, baby!

In early December of 2012, me and my two comrades set out for Baja.  Dreams of eating fish tacos, finding El Jefe, and jetskiing the Cabo filled our young heads, as we took our adventures South of the Border.  Little did we know, fate had other plans.

What is fate? What is destiny? I dedicate this jump to fathers and father figures everywhere!
Wait, I'm just quoting Hot Rod again..

Unfortunately our grand plans of a two week trip to the bottom of the peninsula were cut short only a few days into the trip.  Driving in a rainstorm, I took a turn too fast, and the car went sliding off the road - we rolled twice, but remarkably none of us were injured.  That old 4runner was a champ, man.  Although the frame was totaled and tires popped (pictures below), the engine still ran.  Toyota is doing something right.

So there we were, on the side of the road, in the middle of nowhere. We can't speak Spanish, we don't have cell service, and we haven't even had any fish tacos yet.  It's pouring rain, the sun has just gone down, and the nearest town is easily 20 kilometers away.  Not to mention, there is shattered glass everywhere - in our hair, in our clothes, in our bags.

Thankfully, the kind citizens of Mexico and a couple of American surfers helped us out.  As good Samaritans, they helped us for no gain, from the goodness of their hearts.  We spent  a few days in the Radiotor-springs-esque town of Catavina, and then caught a ride up to the border with a cop named Jose.  From there, we met up with my dad who got us home.  The 4runner was left behind.

Call it luck, call it a miracle, call it modern engineering - we survived a terrible crash, and for that I will always be grateful.  As Matt said a few days later, it's like the multiple-timeline episode of Community. Things could've been better, things could've been worse.  Nobody got eaten by a shark.  We avoided the darkest timeline.  I just wanna say I love my friends and I love my family and I love my healthy body.  We wanted an adventure, and we got one.

So that's the story.  I've got tons of video footage, so I'll be throwing up an edit soon (?).  For now, enjoy these pictures.  Peace and love, keep on keeping on.

 
 




 
 
 
 












No comments: